Monday, March 16, 2009

PODcasting

Well, yet another aspect of all tech-all the time that I just don't see the need for. Download, upload, plug-in,...

I knew what podcasts are prior to viewing the video, but I did not know the what and how of the mechanics that produce them. The 2.0 session was very informative. I have to say (write?) that the CommonCraft videos are very well done, very enjoyable and very easily understood by the digitally unaware like me.

I think the difference between or advantage of podcasts and just going to a web site and clicking on current or archived video and audio is that podcasts are separate from the a website's other contents; that they are unique clips produced solely for downloading to devices such as mp3 players and are not necessarily available on the website of the organization/individual that produced them.

I find enough material on websites, both current and archived, to more than satisfy my info and entertainment needs.

I am not sure how they would fit into the traditional library scheme of things. Perhaps if a library wanted to produce portable material for patrons on the go - to announce the latest aqusitions, new programs and such, podcasts might fill that niche.

No comments:

Post a Comment